Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Saturday Update

I thought I would try out a new/occasional post in which I talk about the books I've read, things I've learned over the past week.

Books I've read:
Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard
Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev
The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale

I'm purchasing my books for this semester, and it looks like it's going to cost me somewhere around the 300 mark. How ridiculous is that? You use the books for a semester if you're lucky. Last semester, one of my "required" textbooks wasn't even used. SO, I think I'm going to email my professors and see if older editions will be ok. Sure, you have to deal with finding the right page numbers, but I'd rather save the money for books I'd actually enjoy reading.

Random fact I learned by watching educational television: A giraffe's heart can be about 2 feet long.

Random fact I learned from watching daytime television: You never know who is related to you. Seriously. It's also highly likely you have an evil twin.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

I suggest buying your books on half.com or amazon.com and then reselling them when the semester is over. As long as a new edition isn't out, I usually break even.

Lizzy said...

That's what I've been doing...however it seems like the past couple of semesters a new edition of my book comes out right after I'm ready to sell it back. Unfortunate, but oh well.

Amanda said...

Lizzy - this is my first semester back in school since 2001 and my books were in that $300+ range, too. Several of them were unavailable in older editions, which really made me sad. I'm sure I won't use half of them. :(

As far as weekly reading posts go, have you seen J. Kaye's Monday Reading meme? Each week she posts a place to link to, and talk about your books you've been reading and have upcoming, and you can put in little miscellaneous stuff like that too, and then when you link to it then you get to meet a whole new circle of bloggers who participate. When used to participate in that until I joined the Sunday Saloning, and got to meet a lot of new people that way.

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

now that scares me, i'm going to college right after high skool. over 300 mark...wow.

i think i already have a evil twin(my sister) everybody says we look alike. But she is EVIL....

Lizzy said...

Rachel,
Thanks for the award, I'll head over to check it out

Amanda,
Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely participate (and I'll get to meet some new bloggers.

Faye,
I think my sister is a little evil, too. I love her, but she's evil.

Stephanie said...

I think it's obscene what textbook publishers charge -- we rarely see a trade book for $50+, yet these publishers know they have a captive audience of students who are required to own their books. Even when I was in college (back during the Reagan years *LOL*) books for a semester were $100-$200. I hope you can find some used copies. :-)

http://starkravingbibliophile.blogspot.com/

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.