Thursday, August 6, 2009

Book Review: Vamped by Lucienne Diver

Vamped by Lucienne Diver

Gina Covello's Perks and Pitfalls
of Vamp Life
1. Hello?! Eternal youth and beauty!

2. Free. Designer. Clothes.

3. My hot new boyfriend Bobby went from chess dud to vamp stud.

4. No reflection! First order of business: turn my own stylist to stop the downward spiral from chic to eek.

5. Vampire vixen Mellisande has taken an interest in my boyfriend, and is now transforming the entire high school into her own personal vampire army. If anyone's going to start their own undead entourage it should be me.

I guess I'll just have to save everyone from fashion disasters and other fates worse than death.

After Gina wakes, and is forced to claw her way out of her grave, she knows something is off. This is confirmed after she is greeted by Bobby, a geek-turned-vampire, who tells her that she's a vampire, too. One mistake on prom night, and she's now the undead. After being abducted, she is a forced to live in a dorm setting with her other classmates (who have also been vamped). That's when the trouble really begins.

This book has been called "Clueless meets Buffy", and it doesn't disappoint. Gina acts a lot like Cher, except less clueless, and more undead. At first Gina seems like a typical "popular" teen girl. She's a fashionista who concentrates on her looks (which is pretty hard to do with no reflection). When it's necessary, however, she is able to take control, and lead everyone against some of the less savory characters (without giving too much away). That's why I connected with her character. In high school I acted fairly immature most of the time, but certain situations required me to take charge, and act like an adult.

I loved that this vampire novel was completely different from a lot of the other ones being published. Instead of dark, angst-ridden vampires, there was a bubbly heroine. Even the villains were fun in a love-to-hate way (well, except for a certain psychic). I had a lot of fun reading it, which I can't say for some of the "comedy" novels I've read in the past. Overall, I can't wait for the sequel, and more Bobby!

Vamped
By Lucienne Diver
Published by Llewellyn
240 Pages
Rating: B

This post is a bit later then I would have liked. I ended up working tonight, and it was busy beyond all reason. I was lucky enough to interview Lucienne Diver, and that will be up tomorrow! I was really excited when she said yes, so come back tomorrow to check it out.

5 comments:

Cecelia said...

I've just read an author interview with Lucienne, and her writing voice was so captivating! I'm actually going to look for this book - because it sounds like genuine fun. Great review!

Briana said...

Good review! This sounds like a great book.

-Briana

Alexia561 said...

Enjoyed your review! Hadn't heard of this book, but will have to check it out. Looks like a fun read. Thanks!

The Obsessive Reader said...

This looks good. I like books were theres vampires or kids in a vampire book living together in a dorm. I'm glad you liked the book. This a really good review. I'll have to read this now.

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

I like books w/ vamps in it. i'm definitely going 2 read this one.
great review :D

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.