Sunday, August 23, 2009

In My Mailbox (August 23)

In my mailbox was created by Kristi of The Story Siren, who was inspired by Pop Culture Junkie. Here are the books I got this week...

I actually got quite a few b
ooks this week, mostly from the library. I also bought a few used from Better World Books. It's an interesting site, because a portion of the proceeds from each book you buy goes toward a literacy program. They also offer free shipping, and an option to offset your carbon footprint. So, if you like to be green, it's a good way to buy books.

From the library -
Swoon by Nina Malkin

Torn from her native New York City and dumped in the land of cookie-cutter preps, Candice is resigned to accept her posh, dull fate. Nothing even happens in Swoon, Connecticut...until Dice's perfect, privileged cousin Penelope nearly dies in a fall from an old tree and her spirit interwines with that of a ghost. His name? Sinclair Youngblood Powers. His mission? Revenge and while Pen is obvious to the possession, Dice is all too aware of Sin. She's intesely drawn to him—but not at all crazy abolut the havoc he's wreaking.

Determined to exorcise the demon, Dice accidentally sets Sin loose, gives him flesh, makes him formidable. Now she must destroy an even more potent—and irresistible—adversary before the whole town succumbs to Sin's will. Only trouble is, she's in love with him.

What do you do when the boy of your dreams is too bad to be true?

Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle
In 1837 London, young daughters of viscounts pined for handsome, titled husbands, not careers. And certainly not careers in magic. At least, most of them didn’t. Shy, studious Persephone Leland would far rather devote herself to her secret magic studies than enter society and look for a suitable husband. But right as the inevitable season for "coming out" is about to begin, Persy and her twin sister discover that their governess in magic has been kidnapped as part of a plot to gain control of the soon-to-be Queen Victoria. Racing through Mayfair ballrooms and royal palaces, the sisters overcome bad millinery, shady royal spinsters, and a mysterious Irish wizard. And along the way, Persy learns that husband hunting isn’t such an odious task after all, if you can find the right quarry.

Evernight by Claudia Gray

Bianca wants to escape.

She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.

"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would."

But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.

Purchased -

Oh. My. Gods by Tera Lynn Childs

A modern girl's comedic odyssey in a school filled with the descendants of Greek gods.

When Phoebe's mom returns from Greece with a new husband and moves them to an island in the Aegean, Phoebe's plans for her senior year and track season are ancient history. Now she must attend the uberexclusive academy, where admission depends on pedigree, namely, ancestry from Zeus, Hera, and other Greek gods. That's right, they're real, not myth, and their teen descendants are like the classical heroes—supersmart and superbeautiful with a few superpowers. And now they're on her track team! Armed only with her Nikes and the will to win, Phoebe races to find her place among the gods.

Fire Study by Maria V Snyder

When word that Yelena is a Soulfinder--able to capture and release souls--spreads like wildfire, people grow uneasy. Already Yelena's unusual abilities and past have set her apart. As the Council debates Yelena's fate, she receives a disturbing message: a plot is rising against her homeland, led by a murderous sorcerer she has defeated before....

Honor sets Yelena on a path that will test the limits of her skills, and the hope of reuniting with her beloved spurs her onward. Her journey is fraught with allies, enemies, lovers and would-be assassins, each of questionable loyalty. Yelena will have but one chance to prove herself--and save the land she holds dear.


The Plague by Joanne Dahme

In a land overshadowed by death, fifteen year-old Nell’s uncanny resemblance to Princess Joan brings her to act as her double—what young girl wouldn’t want to leave a life of poverty and pretend to be a princess? But when the plague catches up to the royal entourage, thwarting the King’s plan for the princess to marry the Prince of Castile and seal an alliance between their kingdoms, Nell’s life could change forever. Princess Joan’s brother The Black Prince schemes to make the wedding go on declaring Nell will no longer double for Joan, she will become the princess and dupe Prince Pedro into marriage! With the aid and protection of a quirky band of friends—a Spanish minstrel, a monk, a gravedigger, a band of merchants—Nell must evade not only the Black Prince, a practitioner of the dark arts, but the plague as well, as she fights to return to the King and country. Based on historical truth, Dahme beautifully captures the dark terror of a Plague-infested fourteenth century Europe, while bringing to life the daily existence of medieval life for young adult readers.

Fortune's Folly by Deva Fagan

Ever since her mother died and her father lost his shoemaking skills, Fortunata has survived by telling fake fortunes. But when she’s tricked into telling a grand fortune for a prince, she is faced with the impossible task of fulfilling her wild prophecy—or her father will be put to death. Now Fortunata has to help Prince Leonato secure a magic sword, vanquish a wicked witch, discover a long-lost golden shoe, and rescue the princess who fits it. If only she hadn’t fallen in love with the prince herself ! (From Goodreads)





I'm also only 5 followers away from 100 (Yay)! I think that once I hit that number, it will be time for a new contest. I've got a few ideas, so we'll see how it goes.

20 comments:

Amanda said...

I love the cover for Oh My Gods. :D

a flight of minds said...

Great books! I liked Evernight a lot and I really want to read Oh. My. Gods! Enjoy!

- Ale

Sab H. said...

Great books you got! Happy reading

Unknown said...

Great books. I really like the look of Swoon and Evernight, both covers look great! Hope you enjoy reading them all!

Test said...

You got some awesome books! I loved Evernight so I can't wait to see what you think about it. :)

Jo said...

Ohhh, I'm jealous of so many of your books! I've not seen that cover for Snyder's book. Enjoy your reading, and I look forward to your reviews!

Tales of Whimsy said...

I can't wait to read Fortune's Folly.

Oh.my.gods. is waiting for me too.

Bewitching Season sounds goood. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Tynga said...

very nice! i've been wanting to read the study series for a while

Windowpane Memoirs said...

Great books! I LOVE Fortune's Folly. Happy Reading!

Peace
Michelle

Mandy said...

Have a great week of reading! I see also that you're reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman. I'll look out for your review!

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

Awesome books this week!
Evernight is really good :D
Hope u enjoy ur books!

A Passion For Books said...

Great books this week! Happy reading!

Rhiannon Hart said...

Fantastic books you got! Can't wait for Swoon and I love Snyder.

Rebecca said...

Awesome books you got this week. I got Swoon the other week. Evernight is a really good book too. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

Katie said...

"Swoon" was actually pretty much a complete surprise for me. I wound up enjoying it, but it was a surprise. Hope you like "Evernight" -- it's a pretty interesting take on the vampire world.

~The Book Pixie said...

I'm reading Bewitching Season now and I really like it. I really want to read Evernight, Swoon, and Oh. My. Gods. The Plague sounds good too. Great bunch of books. Hope you enjoy them all.

~Briana :D

Briana said...

I never read Oh My Gods. It sounds like a pretty good book!

-Briana

Sandy said...

What great books! I'm tempted to buy Swoon...but I must resist. My funds are dwindling because of my book lust x___x!

I read OMGs and Evernight (and loved both!) I can't wait to hear your takes on them :) I read about Fire Study a while back but it didn't stick with me since I don't find the cover very eye-catching. I forgot how cool the summary sounded. I love how cute the cover of Fortune's Folly is...

YES I really like Hush Hush right now. Patch is just so...so...uuuugh. I can't even explain. I'll really have to think about it when I write out my review. I'll end my long-winded comment...right...now. *vanishes*

Tales of Whimsy said...

Psst...
There is a blog award for you on my blog:

http://talesofwhimsy.blogspot.com/2009/08/you-rock.html

Krista said...

Oh, you have some great books there! I loved Maria V Snyders trilogy! I look froward to all your reveiws! Happy reading!

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.