Thursday, August 13, 2009

Book Review: Evermore by Alyson Noel

Evermore by Alyson Noel

Since a horrible accident claimed the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever can see auras, hear people’s thoughts, and know a person’s life story by touch. Going out of her way to shield herself from human contact to suppress her abilities has branded her as a freak at her new high school—but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste…

Ever sees Damen and feels an instant recognition. He is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy, and he holds many secrets. Damen is able to make things appear and disappear, he always seems to know what she’s thinking—and he’s the only one who can silence the noise and the random energy in her head. She doesn’t know who he really is—or what he is. Damen equal parts light and darkness, and he belongs to an enchanted new world where no one ever dies.

I've had this book for quite some time now, but every time I planned to read it, I'd end up choosing something different. I first thought the book was somehow related to vampires, which was probably due, in part, to various reviews I read that compared it to Twilight. As usual, I was wrong, it wasn't about vampires at all. I won't spoil the book, but I will say that the plot was extremely unique. In fact, I'm a little surprised that it was compared to the Twilight series at all. The characters are different, the plot is different, and it isn't a vampire romance. I have nothing against the series, but I feel bad when books get written off as "a Twilight rip-off" (especially because this book wasn't).

I enjoyed the book, but was left with a few questions. For example, we're told that Ever and Damen have had relationships in various past lives, but Damen doesn't tell her any more than that. I'd like to hear more about them, and also about Ever's past lives.

On to the good! I thought Noel did a great job showing how Ever was dealing with grief in a realistic way. Ever was never magically okay after her family died. In fact, even at the end of the book you can tell that she's still grieving, she just dealing with it differently. This book is worth a read if you like paranormal YA, but are looking for something a little out of the norm.

Evermore
By Alyson Noel
Published by St. Martin's Press
320 Pages
Rating: B-

12 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

I'm really looking forward to this one.

Amanda said...

I'm a bit scared of this book now. I read Saving Zoe and that didn't turn out to be so good, and several people told me the writing in this was similar. I hope not. I won this off Goodreads and I thought it looked really interesting. I'm hoping I end up enjoying it.

Kelsey said...

I loved this book. Great review (: Blue Moon is good too.

Andrea said...

I have heard such good things. One day I will get around to reading it.

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

awesome review!
i haven't read Evermore, but when i read its reviews i want 2 read it more.if that makes any sense lol.

Eleni said...

Nice review, I have the book but still haven't gotten around to reading :)

La Coccinelle said...

There's more about the past lives in the second book (though not as much, really, as there should be... it would have been interesting to learn even more about their shared pasts). Maybe the author is meting out all that info in small doses.

I can't say I really agree with your review (I'm one of those people who thought Evermore was a total Twilight rip-off... LOL), but I appreciate your opinions. Happy reading! :)

Alexia561 said...

I've had this book sitting in my TBR pile as well and keep meaning to read it, but other books seem to call my name louder. Will have to move it up in the pile, as you make it sould well worth reading. Thanks!

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

Great cover and this sounds good!

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

Blue Moon gets even better and you get a look into Damen and Ever's past-which I wanted to see after reading Evermore too.

Krista said...

I'll have to see about this one! Great review!

Susú said...

Great review (: I loved this book and the series.
You end up knowing a lot about the other lives they have during the other books. At first i didn't like that the author doesn't tell us more but when you get to the last books you understan why she did that ;)
Greetings from Peru :)

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.