Friday, August 21, 2009

Book Review: Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard

Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard

I chose to read this as part of the Everything Austen Challenge hosted by Stephanie's Written Word

To impress the popular girls on a high school trip to London, klutzy Callie buys real Prada heels. But trying them on, she trips...conks her head...and wakes up in the year 1815!

There Callie meets Emily, who takes her in, mistaking her for a long-lost friend. As she spends time with Emily's family, Callie warms to them—particularly to Emily's cousin Alex, a hottie and a duke, if a tad arrogant.

But can Callie save Emily from a dire engagement, and win Alex's heart, before her time in the past is up?

There's something very light and fun about the idea of a modern-day girl going back to the time of Austen. Perhaps it's the idea of meeting a handsome, charming man at a ball. What's the modern version of that? Meeting a cute guy at a club? It just doesn't have the same appeal.

I really enjoyed this book, particularly the character Callie. She grows immensely over the course of the book, and that's what made her so likable. At the start, she's very insecure, which typically results in some act of severe clumsiness. Eventually, she gains some confidence, and is able to make some new friends along the way. I think that's what makes her such a great character. In my experience, most girls experience some sort of insecurities over the course of high school, but Callie is able to overcome that.

While some parts may have been a bit predictable, I don't think it detracted from the reading experience. I knew what was going to happen, but I still couldn't wait to see how it would happen. I also liked how Callie brought some of her 21st century mannerisms into the 19th. Every time Callie accidentally used a slang word, I could imagine the other characters staring at her like she was mad. Callie also refused to let her new friend, Emily, be married off to a man she didn't love, no matter the cost. While I thought this was brave of both girls, I was actually worried about how that was going to end.

This is definitely a good choice when you need a quick, entertaining read. I can't wait to see more from Hubbard!

Prada and Prejudice
By Mandy Hubbard
Published by The Penguin Group
288 Pages
Rating: A-

13 comments:

Kelsey said...

I'm looking forward to reading this. Thanks for the review!

Tales of Whimsy said...

This sounds like sooo much fun.

Andrea said...

That looks very cute and fun. Thanks!

Cecelia said...

Glad you enjoyed this book! I'm about 30 pages in, and I started reading a couple other things. I'll have to get back to it. Hope you're enjoying going through your Everything Austen challenge list!

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

Great review! this book is so cute!

Briana said...

This definitely sounds cute! :) Good review.

-Briana

Sandy said...

I actually didn't like this book too much. I couldn't get over how clueless Callie was. :/ But it is fluffy-cute which is perfect when your brain needs a vacation! lol. Did you already announce the winner of your contest? o.O

Lizzy said...

It's too bad you didn't like it, but I can see how her cluelessness would be a turn-off. I did announce the winners already, and emailed them and sent out their books. But I'll be holding another one when I get to 100 followers!

Cecelia said...

Come over to my blog...I have an award for you here.

Sandy said...

I was going to say the same thing that Celia said xD

Come to my blog too!

Heather G. said...

I've been wanting to read this one and your review is making me put it higher up on the list! Thanks

Melanie said...

I'm looking forward to this book as well! It sounds like a lot of fun.

vvb32 reads said...

i liked this one too. so cute.

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.