Thursday, August 9, 2012

Book Review: Whispers in Autumn by Trisha Leigh

In 2015, a race of alien Others conquered Earth. They enslaved humanity not by force, but through an aggressive mind control that turned people into contented, unquestioning robots. 

Except sixteen-year-old Althea isn’t content at all, and she doesn’t need the mysterious note inside her locket to tell her she’s Something Else. It also warns her to trust no one, so she hides the pieces that make her different, even though it means being alone. 

The autumn she meets Lucas, everything changes. 

Althea and Lucas are immune to the alien mind control, and together they search for the reason why. What they uncover is a stunning truth the Others never anticipated, one with the potential to free the brainwashed human race. 

It’s not who they are that makes them special, but what.

And what they are is a threat. One the Others are determined to eliminate for good.


*Note that my review is based off of an ARC that had not been fully copy edited. My review contains no spoilers, but there might be slight changes between the version I read and the version available on Amazon/Barnes & Noble

Best Bits: When I first saw this book on a Waiting on Wednesday post I couldn't want to grab a copy. Luckily for me, I got a chance to review it. Boy did it exceed my expectations! The Others, an alien race, has made the earth a peaceful place, and everyone seems devoted to them. This peace comes at a price, however, but humans are unable to see that. Althea is different from the people around her. People barely acknowledge her, she never experiences summer, and she certainly isn't content. Then she meets Lucas, and her life is thrown into chaos. The two things that have stuck with me most about this one are the world-building and the suspense. Leigh does an amazing job of making the world seem foreign, despite everything taking place on earth. You know when you're reading a book and you see you have a certain number of pages left...and then you realize there's no way that everything can be resolved in those pages?! Yeah, that happened to me. As the book was drawing to a close the action was picking up. Naturally, I was freaking out. She does a good job of dealing with a lot of the questions I had, while simultaneously leaving enough open for the second in the series. For that, I tip my proverbial (bowler) hat. 

Nit Picks: The book starts off right in the middle of things. The upside to this is that people who can't get into books unless that have an interesting first chapter will enjoy it. It took me a little while to understand what was going on, who was who, and what was what. Once everything clicked into place for me, however, the story started to flow.

Whispers in Autumn
By Tisha Leigh
Self-published (but professionally edited)
Received for review
Rating: B+

Check back tomorrow when I'll be hosting a guest post by author Trisha Leigh!


post signature

3 comments:

Krystianna said...

I've seen this one around a lot, but this was the first review I've seen. It sounds pretty good, so I may have to check it out.:)

Unknown said...

that is such a beautiful cover! I like your rating style, too. :)

Oh, I'm a new gfc follower, btw.

notjustnonsense.blogspot.com

Debbie's World of Books said...

This sounds like an interesting book. I just added it to my Goodreads list. Thanks!

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.