Thursday, August 23, 2012

Book Review: 7 Clues to Winning You by Kristin Walker

When a humiliating picture of Blythe goes viral, she's instantly the target of ridicule at her new school. To salvage her reputation, Blythe teams up with Luke to win the Senior Scramble scavenger hunt. But Luke is an unlikely ally and potentially can't be trusted.

Perhaps it's his Shakespearean witticisms that reel Blythe in despite her better judgment . . . or maybe she just craves the thrill of the game. But as the hunt progresses, their relationship heats up. Soon their madcap mischief spirals out of control. Blythe is faced with arrest and expulsion, among other catastrophes - until Luke shows her what the Scramble (and love) is really about.

Best Bits: This one was cute, just like Walker's previous novel. Blythe was a great character, and I really felt for her. It's not easy to take the high road when you're forced to leave everything you know and start a school where you're mocked by everyone. She also makes plenty of mistakes throughout the book. Hurrah for a character who isn't perfect, and realizes it! She sets out to fix things, and in the process I think she learns quite a bit about herself (and aren't those the best reads). 


Nit picks: So, I think this might be due to my age, but I really wanted more focus on the family aspect of this book. Blythe's parents don't include her in discussions about moving the family. While I understand it might be silly to think that people in their 40's are really going to listen to input of their teens...shouldn't they? I mean, the motivations behind this move have more to do with Blythe's dad's issues. If he wanted to save more money for them to go to college...why not let her in on their finances?  I'm not sure that this was resolved enough for me either. I don't think saying "I'm sorry" toward the end of the book is enough to make up for what Blythe had to go through at the start of the book. 


7 Clues to Winning You

By Kristin Walker
Published by Razorbill
317 Pages
Rating: B

3 comments:

Dazzling Mage said...

So want to read this book, just for the cuteness of it! Parents in YA are almost a hit and miss. =/ I get nervous when parents make an appearance.

Anyway, great review!

Unknown said...

It reminds me a lot of Della says: OMG! O.o". Reading such books just for fun is good, but it isn't my kind of reading XD

Zemira said...

Great review! I loved A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker. Hope to pick this one too.

I don't like the cover that much. The guy looks twelve.

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.