Friday, July 23, 2010

Author Interview: Emma Michaels

Today I'm happy to host an interview with the author Emma Michaels. Her first book, The Thirteenth Chime, is being released August 13, 2010.

A Bit About Emma (from her website):

Emma Michaels was born and raised in Los Angeles, California, until she moved at eighteen to Washington State. Suddenly, the world was a new place filled with tall green trees that reached further for the sky with every moment, making her want to do the same. Ever since, she has tried to make her life something new and different from what it was before, pursuing her future career, setting high goals and reaching for them with every moment.

With her Debut novel, The Thirteenth Chime being released August 13th 2010 and future releases planned Emma Michaels aspires to one day make it to the top ten of the New York Times Best Sellers List. With her fiancé at her side and her small white Chihuahua, Hope, she writes, reads, reviews and tries to live everyday to its fullest, whether in the pages of a good book or reaching out to others.

A Bit About The Thirteenth Chime:

(I love, love, love this cover)

Synopsis:

No one knew of its existence until it was removed from the attic upstairs.

In a beautiful house that overlooks the sea, an antique clock has the power to change the course of their lives.

The power the clock resonates will not only force Destiny and ex-boyfriend David on a journey into the depths of one man's mind long dead, but into the mind of a man filled with hatred and bent on revenge.

With the only clues to the nature of the clock having disappeared into the sea, Destiny and David must retrace the steps the man had taken into the darkness, before they fall prey to the trap he had set in motion over half a century ago.


1. Can you tell us a little bit about your writing, and your journey to getting published?

A) Getting published was far more difficult for me than the process of writing my first book. My writing is aimed at a YA crowd and my debut novel, "The Thirteenth Chime", would be considered YA Paranormal/ Urban Fantasy and I am pleased to be sharing it with everyone. Getting here, as I said, was not very easy. When I first began querying for my novel, I started with agents. I received well over a hundred standard form rejections before I began trying publishers. There was such a difference! Now, I'm active every day working on the beginning of the book tour and getting ready for the official release date on Friday the 13th in August. I can't believe how fast it is coming. I am so grateful to Bokheim and all that they have done to make this a reality.


2. Before getting published, you were both a blogger, and a book reviewer. Has that influenced your writing, or how you've been marketing your first novel?

A) One of the best things about my journey to getting published is how supportive and wonderful all of my fellow bloggers and blog readers have been. I am very grateful for the support, especially as once my book was accepted everything began to pass by in a blur! But thank you everyone! I owe much of my success at getting published to all of you. I think that it has helped with marketing, especially since it has helped me understand better what I can do for fans and what they might enjoy since I can think back to all the things authors did that either put a smile on my face or just things that I thought were really sweet. Not many authors reach out the way that they could so I am really happy to be able to have such a close line of communication with my followers and hopefully future fans!


3. What was the hardest part of writing The Thirteenth Chime, the most exciting?

A) I think that the first few pages are the hardest for me, it is the start of the story and you can't help but want it to be perfect. The most exciting part was probably the end. I was typing so fast it felt like a blur of emotions! I loved writing The Thirteenth Chime and hopefully others will love reading it!!!


4. I love the cover of your book! Did you have any input as to what the cover image would be?

A) Yes I did! I was very fortunate in how Bokheim not only heard me out on my idea, but that they managed to procure exactly what I had envisioned in my head. I love the cover and I think it matches the book perfectly!


5. Can readers expect a sequel?

A) Definitely! I wasn't sure at first how great the response would be as, after all, this is my first book. But if "The Thirteenth Chime" continues to be as popular as it has been, fans can definitely expect a sequel in the series "A Sense of Truth".


6. What's the most recent book that you've read, and loved?

A) Beautiful Creatures - Loved it!

Thank you so much for having me and to everyone reading, your support means so much to me!!! I truly hope that you will enjoy "The Thirteenth Chime"!!!!

A huge thanks to Emma for taking the time to answer my questions! If you'd like to know more about Emma Michaels, or The Thirteenth Chime, you can click below:

3 comments:

Emma Michaels said...

Thank you so much for helping me spread the word and for the wonderful interview!!!

Sincerely,
Emma Michaels
http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

Emma said...

Awesome review! Thirteenth looks so good.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I am so totally thrilled for Emma :) I will be buying a copy for sure!

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.