Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mini Book Review: The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself. (From Goodreads)

I read quite a few reviews of this one before I picked it up. Some were good, others bad, and there were a few smack dab in the middle. In an effort to avoid repeating everything all the other reviews have said, I'm just going to briefly share my general thoughts on the plot and characters.

I really liked the idea behind the plot. Violet can sense dead bodies that are the result of murder. This ability doesn't just work with animals, Violet can sense human bodies as well. She hears their "echoes" calling out to her, and can also sense their imprints upon their murderers. I thought that knowing a murderer would always carry the imprints of those they had killed was a particularly thought-provoking part of the story.

As I said above, my main issue was that I didn't connect with the characters. I'm not sure what it was exactly, but for some reason I didn't really agree with some of Violet's choices (particularly involving Jay). Had I been able to connect to someone, I think my rating for this book would have increased.

The Body Finder
By Kimberly Derting
Published by HarperTeen
Rating: C

2 comments:

YA Book Queen said...

That's disappointing...it's always a bummer when you just can't connect to any character. Thanks for the honest review :)

Emma said...

This one looked really good, so that's quite disappointing. Thanks for your honesty, though!

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.