Friday, April 22, 2011

Book Review: Cross my Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally Carter

*This review does contain some spoilers for book one: I'd Tell You I Love You, but Then I'd Have to Kill You


Cammie Morgan is back, and it's clear that her life hasn't calmed down since the events of I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You. At first, giddy anticipation is in the air. Gallagher Academy, Cammie's elite spy school, is hosting a visit from the Ethan Frome Academy, a covert training center for boys. Soon after the boys' arrival, though, everything goes dangerously awry when a series of security breaches are discovered at the academy. Worse yet, teenage agent-in-training Cammie is being blamed for the penetration. With the school's top-secret status at risk, the Gallagher Girls have to work quickly to save their beloved school. Girl sleuths with nice asides on youthful crushes. (From Goodreads).

The Gallagher girls are back with another semester of adventure, surveillance, and romance. The book begins right where the first left off, with Cammie, aka the Chameleon, upset about being forced to end things with Josh. She's been debriefed by the CIA, and things seem to be moving back to the normal routine, well as normal as things get in a private school that trains girls to be spies. Unfortunately, the girls at Gallagher Academy are about to face something that they never would have expected...boys. I thought it was a fun addition to the story, and made all of the relationships a bit more complicated. I'm interested to see how Zach, the guy-spy equivalent of Cammie, evolves as a character over the rest of the series.

When comparing Cross my Heart and Hope to Spy with the first book in the series, it didn't quite live up to the first book. I think that's because I was hoping for a bit more growth from Cammie, and to learn more about her father. I didn't deduct much in terms of the rating for this, because I'm sure that these things will be addressed in the remainder of the series.

Cross my Heart and Hope to Spy (Gallagher Girls 2)
By Ally Carter
Published by Hyperion
240 Pages
Received from: Library
Rating: C

6 comments:

JB said...

I have to disagree--I like this one better than the first (but perhaps it's because I'm partial to the new boy...) However, these books DO get even better through the series, so don't give up hope. :)

Sakira said...

I've heard about this series before but haven't had the chance to read it. From the review, the series seems really exciting. I'm going to have to check this out soon. I'll be expecting a lot out of the first book to make this book seem duller in comparison!! :D

Tales of Whimsy said...

Thanks for the tips and review. I have this one on my shelf.

Question do I have to read book 1 first or can I just dive into this one?

Badass Bookie said...

mmmm I personally like Ally otehr series Heist Society better but it does get better!

IdentitySeeker said...

I've had this series on my TBR list since forever. I hope to read it soon. Cross my Heart sounds interesting, but if it isn't able to match up to the first book...I'll still give it a try, though.

Sarah

Cheyenne said...

Great review! I've been considering this for some time. :)

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.