Saturday, April 19, 2014

Stacking the Shelves (April 19)

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga at Tynga's Reviews! It's a way to highlight the books that everyone got throughout the week.

For Review: 

How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love by Ken Baker
 
"Thick. Heavy. Big boned. Plump. Full figured. Chunky. Womanly. Large. Curvy. Plus-size. Hefty." To sixteen-year-old Emery Jackson, these are all just euphemisms for the big "F" word—"fat." Living on a Southern California beach with her workout fiend dad, underwear model sister, and former model mother, it is impossible for Emery not to be aware of her weight.

Emery is okay with how things are. That is, until her "momager" signs her up for Fifty Pounds to Freedom, a reality show in which Emery will have to lose fifty pounds in fifty days in order to win the million dollars that will solve her family's financial woes. Emery is skeptical of the process, but when the pounds start to come off and the ratings skyrocket, she finds it hard to resist the adoration of her new figure and the world of fame. Emery knows that things have changed. But is it for the better?


Published by Running Press
Release Date: April 22, 2014 

Purchased: 

Panic by Lauren Oliver

Panic began as so many things do in Carp, a dead-end town of 12,000 people in the middle of nowhere: because it was summer, and there was nothing else to do.

Heather never thought she would compete in Panic, a legendary game played by graduating seniors, where the stakes are high and the payoff is even higher. She’d never thought of herself as fearless, the kind of person who would fight to stand out. But when she finds something, and someone, to fight for, she will discover that she is braver than she ever thought.

Dodge has never been afraid of Panic. His secret will fuel him, and get him all the way through the game, he’s sure of it. But what he doesn't know is that he’s not the only one with a secret. Everyone has something to play for.

For Heather and Dodge, the game will bring new alliances, unexpected revelations, and the possibility of first love for each of them—and the knowledge that sometimes the very things we fear are those we need the most.


The Selection by Kiera Cass

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I got Panic a few weeks ago and was lucky enough to get it signed. Hope to start it soon! Enjoy!

My Stack

Kathy Martin said...

I am curious about your review book. I haven't see it but am interested in the subject. I liked Panic and have The Selection on my TBR mountain. Come see what I got at Ms. Martin Teaches Media and Inside of a Dog. Happy reading!

Unknown said...

Panic was my first Lauren Oliver and I wasn't really impressed with it. I just couldn't connect with the characters and didn't really get the plot, but I can't say the writing wasn't beautiful. :) Happy reading!

Here's mine

Kirsty @ StudioReads

Marla said...

I really should read Panic. Or any of her books, for that matter. *blushes* I am so far behind on some authors.

Thanks for stopping by my STS post. Have a great week!

Lauren said...

Panic was such a fast paced read, I really hope you enjoy it :) The Selection has been on my wishlist for ages, now I'm just happy that the series is complete so I can read them all in one swoop haha. Happy Reading :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

That first cover cracks me up.

Kodelle said...

Panic and Selection are on my To Read list. Happy reading!

Monique Morris said...

All these books look super yummy! :D I still have not read The Selection :(

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.