Thursday, April 24, 2014

Book Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


 Best Bits: You know, this book was really entertaining. I've heard positive and negative things about it, and I think that's why it's taken me so long to cross it off my to-read list. So, I was pleasantly surprised by how fast it went. I liked the dynamic between the girls (see the nit picks section, though). Sure, some fell into their tropes, but it was nice to see that some girls weren't after love, they were after power.


Sorry, I'm not usually a gif person, but I couldn't resist. I did like the development of Maxon. Despite his out-of-touch upbringing, he's genuinely willing to attempt change for his country. It's the sign of a good ruler (omg, now I'm worried he won't live through the series. Excuse me while I go breathe in a paper bag).

Nit Picks: I can see why this one was hit or miss for people, because it stayed at the surface for most things like character motivations (beyond America), and delving into why the rebels are fighting back against the government. The love triangle seemed a bit wonky, too. I think that's because the book gives us such a positive look at Maxon. I felt ho-hum about Aspen, who I'm sure I'm supposed to feel something for. 

The Selection 
By Kiera Cass
Published by  HarperTeen
336 Pages

5 comments:

Ashfa said...

I'm still on the fence on this book because of all the review I've read on Goodreads (and I cant make up my mind if it's worth reading it)
And there's the love triangle too which doesn't look all that good.

Megan R said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one overall, since it's on my TBR shelf as well.

Monique Morris said...

I still haven't read this yet. I'm excited to start reading it.

Anonymous said...

I know some people hate love triangles, but I kind of dig them. So I really enjoyed The Selection. I just started this series last week and torn thru all three of them. Glad to hear you enjoyed it too. And I love your little gif. ;)

Kristen said...

This one is on my TBR pile, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I know I will need to be in a mood for it.

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.