Friday, April 18, 2014

Book Review: Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

  didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.
But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado—taking you with it—you have no choice but to go along, you know?

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little blue birds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still the yellow brick road, though—but even that's crumbling.

What happened?
Dorothy. They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.


Best Bits: Oh. My. Glob. There was something so deliciously twisted about this book that kept me from setting it down. I was reading it during my lunch break because I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. Amy is like Dorothy in many ways, she just wants to escape her life in Kansas. Her issues, unlike Dorothy's, are more serious and intense.  This makes her a great character. She's not exactly likable all the time, but I understand her motivations. She's tormented by her peers, her mom is struggling with addiction, and she can't wait to leave her home behind. Perfect timing for a tornado, right? Paige was able to take Oz, and make it her own. The associations that I have about Oz from childhood were turned upside down, and I loved it.

The characters are everything that you want them to be, and Paige doesn't spare anyone. It's sort of like Game of Thrones, no one is safe! The reader never truly knows who is good and who is wicked, and if wicked is really good in Oz?! I'm looking forward to Amy's struggle with power, and her ability to navigate who to trust (and hopefully, ultimately, trusting herself). The characters we know and love(d) make an appearance, and they're absolutely vile. I never thought I would be disgusted by the cowardly lion (because really, in the movie I just want to give him a big hug). Paige excels in warping these characters, while giving the reader an understanding of why they serve Dorothy.

Nit Picks: There is a decent amount of swearing in this one. I didn't mind it, but those who try to avoid that should be aware. 

Dorothy Must Die 
By Danielle Paige
Published by HarperCollins
452 Pages
Purchased



4 comments:

Dazzling Mage said...

Ooh, your review got me excited for this one! Adding it to my TBR!

Ashfa said...

Wow, I've heard good things about this one and now I really want to get mu hands on the book. I'm not a huge fan of retellings but if it's dark and twisted, then it's right done my alley. Loved the review.

Frosy said...

I have been seeing this book almost everywhere and was wondering if it's any good. Sounds interesting even though I'm not a fan of retellings.

Vivien said...

You know, I absolutely loved this one too!!! I really didn't expect to just outright love it, but I did. Loved the novella as well. Definitely eager for more from this author!

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.