Sunday, February 28, 2010

In My Mailbox (February 28)

In my mailbox was created by Kristi of The Story Siren, who was inspired by Pop Culture Junkie. Here are the books I got this week...

I did buy some books this week, but I'm taking a trip to Seattle in a week, and I'll need something to read during my layovers

Purchased:

Lockdown:Escape from the Furnace by Alexander Gordon Smith

Furnace Penitentiary: the world’s most secure prison for young offenders, buried a mile beneath the earth’s surface. Convicted of a murder he didn’t commit, sentenced to life without parole, “new fish” Alex Sawyer knows he has two choices: find a way out, or resign himself to a death behind bars, in the darkness at the bottom of the world. Except in Furnace, death is the least of his worries. Soon Alex discovers that the prison is a place of pure evil, where inhuman creatures in gas masks stalk the corridors at night, where giants in black suits drag screaming inmates into the shadows, where deformed beasts can be heard howling from the blood-drenched tunnels below. And behind everything is the mysterious, all-powerful warden, a man as cruel and dangerous as the devil himself, whose unthinkable acts have consequences that stretch far beyond the walls of the prison.

Firespell
by Chloe Neill
As the new girl at the elite St. Sophia’s boarding school, Lily Parker thinks her classmates are the most monstrous things she’ll have to face…

When Lily’s guardians decided to send her away to a fancy boarding school in Chicago, she was shocked. So was St. Sophia’s. Lily’s ultra-rich brat pack classmates think Lily should be the punchline to every joke, and on top of that, she’s hearing strange noises and seeing bizarre things in the shadows of the creepy building.

The only thing keeping her sane is her roommate, Scout, but even Scout’s a little weird—she keeps disappearing late at night and won’t tell Lily where she’s been. But when a prank leaves Lily trapped in the catacombs beneath the school, Lily finds Scout running from a real monster.

Scout’s a member of a splinter group of rebel teens with unique magical talents, who’ve sworn to protect the city against demons, vampires, and Reapers, magic users who’ve been corrupted by their power. And when Lily finds herself in the line of a firespell, Scout tells her the truth about her secret life, even though Lily has no powers of her own—at least none that she’s discovered yet…

The Cinderella Deal by Jennifer Crusie
Linc Blaise needed the perfect fiancĂ©e to win his dream job, but finding a woman who'd be convincing in a charade seemed impossible—until he heard Daisy Flattery charm her way out of a sticky situation! Playing the prim and proper bride-to-be was a lark to the dazzling storyteller, but once she glimpsed the touching vulnerability Linc tried to hide, pretense turned into temptation. Could she find a way to make their fairy tale last? In a deliciously funny and touching tale of opposites attracting, Jennifer Crusie warms hearts and tickles funnybones from start to finish! Daisy hadmade him believe in wondrous possibilities, drawn him into a world of passionate abandon, but was he brave enough to give her his love?

For Review:

Whisper by Phoebe Kitanidis

I’d love a cup of coffee. I wish she knew how pretty she was. I wish I could drop this kid in the dryer sometimes. I just want her to be happy. I hope she didn’t find out what Ben said about her. I wish I knew how many calories were in a bite of muffin…

Joy is used to hearing Whispers. She’s used to walking down the street and instantly knowing people’s deepest, darkest desires. She uses this talent for good, to make people happy and give them what they want. But for her older sister, Jessica, the family gift is a curse, and she uses it to make people’s lives—especially Joy’s—miserable. Still, when Joy Hears Jessica whisper: I want to kill my Hearing dead, and kill me too if that’s what it takes, she knows she has to save her sister, even if it means deserting her friends, stealing a car and running away with a boy she barely knows—a boy who may have a dark secret of his own. (From Goodreads)

Published by Balzer + Bray
Release Date: April 27th 2010

21 comments:

Test said...

Great books! Firespell and Whisper both look fantastic, so I can't wait to see your thoughts on them. Happy reading! :)

Nina said...

Firespell and Whisper, WOWsy! Enjoy them both and ofcourse have lots of fun on your trip!

Brittany said...

Whisper and Firespell both sound amazing. Happy Reading!

Tuning Into YA Books said...

Great books this week
Just wanted to let you know you won an award at my place
http://tuningintoyabooks.blogspot.com/2010/02/award-time.html

Sarah said...

Great selection this week - I've had Firespell on my wishlist for ages & I love the sound of Whisper!

Christina T said...

I haven't read anything by Jennifer Crusie yet but I've heard that she is a fantastic author. The Cinderella Deal looks like a book I'd enjoy. Whisper also looks like a great read. I hope you enjoy your books!

Here is what's in my mailbox.

Chioma said...

I am pining for both Whisper and Firespell. They both sound great!!! Hope you enjoy them!!!
Chioma

Kathy Martin said...

You got some good ones this week. I enjoyed Firespell and lookd forward to the sequels. The one by Crusie sounds cute. I'll have to see if I already read it. Whispers sounds good too. Happy reading!

Chrissie said...

I really want to read Whisper and Firespell too! Hope you enjoy all your great books :)

I'm a Lit-Bitch, Baby said...

Oh! Whisper looks fantastic!

ck.twilighter (Chasity) said...

Whisper sounds intriguing and I have yet to read Firespell... I have a copy but have to make the time!=)

Enjoy!!


http://lll808.blogspot.com/2010/02/in-my-mailbox-8.html

bclement412 said...

Whisper looks awesome. Happy Reading!

Here's what I got in my mailbox this week: http://bclement412.blogspot.com/

Windowpane Memoirs said...

Great titles! Happy Reading ;)

Peace
Michelle

Alayne said...

These all look like so much fun! Happy reading. Mine is at The Crowded Leaf.

Laura (The Bookie Bunch) said...

Awesome books! Whisper looks amazing and I too have Firespell!

Here's what I got this week: http://bookielaura.blogspot.com/2010/02/in-my-mailbox-2-28-10.html

Have an awesome booktastic Monday! :D
The Bookie Bunch

Shera (Book Whispers) said...

Great selection. I hope you enjoy Firespell. I absolutely loved it!

Eleni said...

Great books, enjoy!

Dazzling Mage said...

A Cinderella Deal looks so cute!

And Whisper looks amazing; can't wait for your review.

Happy reading!

Lori said...

I want to read Firespell, Whisper looks good as well. Here's Mine.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Cinderella deal sounds so cute :)

Kara said...

I loved Lockdown and have the next two books in the series on my TBR list.

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.