Thursday, July 16, 2009

Book Review: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

I had been meaning to read this series by Melissa Marr for quite some time before I actually picked up the book. I'd been seeing the series pop up numerous times on various different review blogs/sites. Plus, they had cool cover art, which, of course, totally drew me in. I picked up the first book, Wicked Lovely, while I was house-sitting, and finished within a few hours (usually a sign that I enjoy it).

I enjoyed the book, and have since finished the sequel (Ink Exchange). I guess what I enjoyed most was the simple fact that the relationships weren't cliché. I can't really go in-depth with that comment without giving away any spoilers, but I'll just say that the relationships seemed very natural/realistic, which is rare in stories involving magic/faeries. In my opinion, the only thing that could have made the book better would have been a little more background on Aislinn's parents. We do get some small tidbits of information, but I was left wondering more about them, and how her grandmother knew about faeries. I'm hoping more will be revealed in the third installment (Fragile Eternity) that can answer that question.

Wicked Lovely

By Melissa Marr

352 Pages (Paperback edition)

Published by HarperCollins

Rating: C


6 comments:

Amanda said...

One day soon, I will have to get ahold of this series.

Amy said...

This book was waaaaaaay overrated, but like you, I enjoyed it.
Excellent review! I'm trying to not say great so much ;-D
-AMY

Briana said...

I'm glad you liked it! I still need to read it.

-Briana

Book Butterfly (Kim) said...

I thought your review was really spot on-and I agreed with everything you said. I hope you enjoy Fragile Eternity :)

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

i luv this series, Fragile Eternity was not my fav but i'm hoping things will get better in Skin Starved(4th book)

Emma said...

I really enjoyed Wicked Lovely too, but Keenan's response to Aislynn's reaction to becoming Summer Queen really annoyed me. He didn't act as if she was giving anything up. Nice review!

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.