Saturday, July 25, 2009

In My Mailbox (July 26)

In my mailbox was created by Kristi of The Story Siren, who was inspired by Pop Culture Junkie. Here are the books I got this week...

I'm still trying to avoid purchasing books...I gave in and bought Gone when I had to purchase my GRE study guide.

Bass Ackwards and Belly Up (Borrowed)
By Elizabeth Craft, and Sarah Fain

Harper Waddle, Sophie Bushell, and Kate Foster are about to commit the ultimate suburban sin--bailing on college to each pursue their dreams: write the next Great American Novel, make it as a Hollywood actress, and backpack around the world. Middlebury-bound Becca Winsberg is convinced her friends have gone insane...until they remind her she just might have a dream of her own. So what if their lives are bass ackwards and belly up? They'll always have each other. Harper is going to be the next Jane Austen. Or Sylvia Plath. Or Plum Sykes. Figuring out which should be easy. It?s living with the lie she told her three best friends that?s going to be hard. Kate doesn't know exactly what she wants. But whatever it is, she won't find it at Harvard. Maybe the answer is in Paris, or Athens? or anywhere Kate can be someone besides the girl with perfect grades, perfect hair, and the perfect boyfriend. Sophie is a star. She?s already got the looks, the talent, and a list of demands for her dressing room. Now that she?s wrangled a furnished guesthouse in Beverly Hills, it?s only a matter of time before she?s discovered. Unless she isn't. Becca is dysfunctional. At least, her family is. Which is why she can't wait to flee the drama and get to college. But Becca?s friends know she needs more than a spot on the Middlebury ski team and a cozy dorm room. They know sheneeds to fall in love. Dreams are complicated. They almost never turn out like you imagine'they almost always change. Sometimes, they change you.

Gone

By Michael Grant

In the blink of an eye.

Everyone disappears.

Gone.

Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent.



Kaplan's GRE

Do I need to post the explanation? No, not really.

12 comments:

Kristen said...

OOoo. Studying for tests is NO fun. But you've got two books to accompany the pain that comes from studying. Good luck on the test girl!

Windowpane Memoirs said...

Good titles! Enjoy your books.



Peace
Michelle

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

Gone is absolutely amazing! Enjoy!

Emily said...

oooo - Gone looks really good :)

Thanks for the post on my blog - I'll be following yours - looks like we have the same interests....you know...because I need more ways to add to my massive book wishlist!

Katie said...

I keep meaning to put "Gone" on hold at the library. ::mental note::

Good luck studying for your test. It's no fun, but I'm sure you'll do great!

Happy reading (well, on the two fun books)!

Rich Mom, Rich Dad. Poor Mom, Poor Dad. said...

Ooohhh the books sound good. have fun studying, lol. For me, it will never end! hahahahaa. Grad school is no fun!

http://booknerdextraordinaire.blogspot.com/2009/07/in-my-mailbox-38.html

Library Lounge Lizard said...

Good books....uhhh studying....I remember those days :o)

Fantastic Book Review said...

Good Luck on your tests! I need to put the Gone Series on my TBR list.

Happy Reading!

Rebecca said...

Great books. Gone sounds like a good read. Good luck with your study.

Erica said...

Bass Ackwards and Belly Up looks great - Happy Reading :)

Briana said...

Ooh! Marisa is reading Gone now. She asked me which book she should buy (multiple choice) and I told her to get Gone! Haha, I hope you both love it :)

-Briana

a flight of minds said...

Bass Ackwards and Belly Up is cute. It's like Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I really like Gone, so I hope you will too. Happy reading!

- Alex

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.