Saturday, June 29, 2013

Stacking the Shelves (June 29)

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga at Tynga's Reviews! It's a way to highlight the books that everyone got throughout the week.

For Review:  

A Trick of the Light by Lois Metzger

Mike Welles had everything under control. But that was before. Now things are rough at home, and they’re getting confusing at school. He’s losing his sense of direction, and he feels like he’s a mess.

Then there’s a voice in his head. A friend, who’s trying to help him get control again. More than that—the voice can guide him to become faster and stronger than he was before, to rid his life of everything that’s holding him back. To figure out who he is again. If only Mike will listen.

Telling a story of a rarely recognized segment of eating disorder sufferers—young men—A Trick of the Light by Lois Metzger is a book for fans of the complex characters and emotional truths in Laurie Halse Anderson’s Wintergirls and Jay Asher’s Thirteen Reasons Why.


Published by Balzer & Bray  

Thanks to Leyane for this one!

Purchased

School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins


Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.

Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt? 


Published by Disney Hyperion


16 comments:

Grace Fonseca said...

Nice haul of books. They all look fabulous. Come visit me as well. New follower via bloglovin as well.

Grace

Synchronized Reading said...

I really enjoyed School Spirits :) Hope you do to! But I haven't heard of the other book. Looks interesting though :) Great haul!

Janina
My Haul!

hbjgvhuogyihpo said...

Ohh! I read A Trick of the Light and it was really good! The way it's told is creepy, but kind of thought provoking at the same time? And then School Spirits! I love the Hex Hall series and I'm so excited to start on this new series.

Tabitha @ Tabitha's Book Blog

Tammy Sparks said...

I've read some really good things about A Trick of the Light. I haven't read either of these myself, but they look so good:) Thanks for visiting!

Erica (The Reading Kitten) said...

Great haul! I've been wanting to read Rachel Hawkins' books for a while now. Thanks for stopping by my STS! :)

SweetMarie83 said...

I've been seeing A Trick of the Light Around a lot lately and it's starting to make me curious. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier, and happy reading! :-)

~Marie @ Ramblings of a Daydreamer

Jen said...

Can't wait to see what you think of School Spirits. Izzy was not my favorite character in the Hex Hall series, but I've seen some good reviews for this book!
Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

Lisa @ Lost in Literature said...

School Spirits looks really good - I should definitely read that one soon. I hope you enjoy your goodies this week!! :)

Lee @ Rally the Readers said...

I just put Hex Hall on hold at the library today and am excited to finally check out the series. I hope you enjoy School Spirits! Happy reading, and thanks for stopping by!

Tales of Whimsy said...

I keep hearing good things about the School Spirits series.

Unknown said...

Wow, I've never heard of A Trick of the Light; it sounds really different. Eating disorders are usually about girls, you know? I'll definitely add it to my TBR. :D

Thanks for stopping by my StS earlier.

Sandy said...

School Spirits is the one that looks the most interesting to me. lOL I haven't read any of the books, but I see the books around so much that I might have to pick the first one up. Nice haul and happy reading. :)

Jaz said...

Woah Trick of the Light sounds really different. I've seen School Spirits around but never thought much about it, may look into it now (:

Happy reading!

Jennifer @ Bad Bird Reads said...

OOoh, Trick of the light looks interesting. Great haul.

Unknown said...

A Trick of Light sounds very interesting and I'm currently writing my review of The School Spirits :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog :D

My Book Haul

Have a great week!

Jamie E. said...

School Spirits looks great! Happy Reading!
Here are my newest additions.

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.