Monday, June 10, 2013

ARC Review: Spies and Prejudice by Talia Vance

Fields’ Rule #1: Don’t fall for the enemy.

Berry Fields is not looking for a boyfriend. She’s busy trailing cheaters and liars in her job as a private investigator, collecting evidence of the affairs she’s sure all men commit. And thanks to a pepper spray incident during an eighth grade game of spin the bottle, the guys at her school are not exactly lining up to date her, either.

So when arrogant—and gorgeous—Tanner Halston rolls into town and calls her “nothing amazing,” it’s no loss for Berry. She’ll forget him in no time. She’s more concerned with the questions surfacing about her mother’s death.

But why does Tanner seem to pop up everywhere in her investigation, always getting in her way? Is he trying to stop her from discovering the truth, or protecting her from an unknown threat? And why can’t Berry remember to hate him when he looks into her eyes?

With a playful nod to Jane Austen, Spies and Prejudice will captivate readers as love and espionage collide. 


Best Bits: I've often found that when books are pitched as _____ meets _____, the result never quite meets my expectations. Spies and Prejudice was described as Pride and Prejudice meets Veronica Mars, two things that I absolutely fangirl for. I was really pleased with the result, it reminded me of the best parts of both things, while maintaining a uniqueness. Berry has sass; I think that Elizabeth Bennet would approve of her. She's a great character because she's flawed, and over the course of the novel grows to accept that her past has directly impacted her understanding of herself. The mystery of what happened to her mother was also gripping. Man, I did not see the end coming (which is sad, because I was an avid Veronica Mars watcher...although, I never guessed then, either). The supporting characters are awesome, too. Berry's friends are supportive of her lifestyle, and have stuck with her through it all. The book was paced well, too. It's a quick and satisfying read! 

Nit Picks: I believe that if there had been a couple more scenes between Berry and Tanner that the transition between initial dislike and attraction would have gone a bit more smoothly. Basically, I would have liked them to be thrown together to have some deep conversations. This isn't a major nit pick though, because I was still pleased with the romance, but I think it would have helped me learn more about both characters (although I can see why that may not have fit with the plot and pace of the novel). 

Spies and Prejudice
By Talia Vance
Pubished by EgmontUSA
304 Pages
Received for Review
Rating: B

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand your nit pick, I notice that sometimes, too. I don;t really like it when the girl's like, "I don't need guys" until the hot one shows up and she'd charmed like the rest. Other than that, she sounds cool:) Great review!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Sounds like I MUST MUST get it.

Oh and *high five* fellow Veronica Mars fan girl ;)

Dazzling Mage said...

Oooh, I read that it was a Pride and Prejudice retake (obviously), but didn't know Veronica Mars was thrown in as well! I am DEFINITELY checking this one out!

Great review!

Gaby G said...

Sounds good but I understand the nit pick. I don't like instant love!

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.