Sunday, June 26, 2011

In My Mailbox (June 26)

In My Mailbox was created by Kristi of The Story Siren, who was inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie. All of the synopses you see below were found on Goodreads. Here are the books I got this week...


I haven't done an IMM in quite some time, and I wanted to do a special shout out thank you to a couple of people this week. I'll start with some news, I got a new job! I'm not sure what days I'm working, but I know it will be a full-time position. So, add this on to school and I'm not sure what the fall is going to be like in terms of blogging. I'm definitely going to keep it up and running, and try to get as much as possible done in advance. Still, I'm sure that for the first couple of weeks things are probably going to be a bit of an adventure. On to the books...


Won: 


From Kismet Book Touring I was lucky enough to win an Amazon Kindle as part of the book tour for Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini! This included a Starcrossed skin (seen in the photo) and the e-book version of Josephine's book. So, a huge thanks goes out to them :)



For Review: 


The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab


The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children. 

If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company. 

And there are no strangers in the town of Near.

These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life.
But when an actual stranger—a boy who seems to fade like smoke—appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true.
The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion. Still, he insists on helping Lexi search for them. Something tells her she can trust him.
As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi’s need to know—about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy.
Part fairy tale, part love story, Victoria Schwab’s debut novel is entirely original yet achingly familiar: a song you heard long ago, a whisper carried by the wind, and a dream you won’t soon forget.

Release Date: August 2, 2011

Katarina Bishop has worn a lot of labels in her short life: Friend. Niece. Daughter. Thief. But for the last two months she’s simply been known as the girl who ran the crew that robbed the greatest museum in the world. That’s why Kat isn’t surprised when she’s asked to steal the infamous Cleopatra Emerald so it can be returned to its rightful owners.

There are only three problems. First, the gem hasn’t been seen in public in thirty years. Second, since the fall of the Egyptian empire and the suicide of Cleopatra, no one who holds the emerald keeps it for long — and in Kat’s world, history almost always repeats itself. But it’s the third problem that makes Kat’s crew the most nervous, and that is . . . the emerald is cursed.

Kat might be in way over her head, but she’s not going down without a fight. After all, she has her best friend — the gorgeous Hale — and the rest of her crew with her as they chase the Cleopatra around the globe, dodging curses and realizing that the same tricks and cons her family has used for centuries are useless this time.




Alexis is the last girl you'd expect to sell her soul. She already has everything she needs--an adorable boyfriend, the perfect best friend, and a little sister who’s finally recovering after being possessed by an evil spirit, then institutionalized.  Alexis is thrilled when her sister joins a club; new friends are just what Kasey needs.  It’s strange, though, to see how fast the girls in The Sunshine Club go from dorky and antisocial to gorgeous and popular.  Soon Alexis learns that the girls have pledged an oath to a seemingly benevolent spirit named Aralt.  Worried that Kasey's in over her head again, Alexis and her best friend Megan decide to investigate by joining the club themselves.  At first, their connection with Aralt seems harmless.  Alexis trades in her pink hair and punky clothes for a mainstream look, and quickly finds herself reveling in her newfound elegance and success. Instead of fighting off the supernatural, Alexis can hardly remember why she joined in the first place. Surely it wasn't to destroy Aralt...why would she hurt someone who has given her so much, and asked for so little in return?


Another huge thanks to Jamie at Disney Publishing Worldwide for the chance to read and review some of my most anticipated 2011 reads!


Purchased: 


Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress by Tina Ferraro


Sophomore year, Nicolette Antonovich was dumped two days before prom by the hottest guy at school. As a result, she became the proud owner of one unworn, perfectly magical pink vintage dress. But Nic is determined to put that night behind her for good. She's a junior now— older, wiser, and completely overwhelmed by a new set of problems: (1) The bank's ready to foreclose on her childhood home. (2) Her father's too busy with his "replacement" daughter to care. (3) Her best friend's brother is an eternal thorn in her side. (4) Her best friend isn't exactly the rose attached to that thorn. (5) Rumors are flying around school that could get her kicked off the volleyball team, which would (6) ruin all chances of a college scholarship. (7) She still likes the boy who dumped her in the first place. (8) And what in the world do you do with an unworn prom dress, anyway? Strangely, it's getting to the bottom of this last dilemma that just might hold the answer to all Nic's problems.


 Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper


Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school - but no one knows it. Most people - her teachers and doctors included - don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again.
If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows... but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind - that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice... but not everyone around her is ready to hear it. 



Borrowed: 

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver 



What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.
Instead, it turns out to be her last.

Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.


Hereafter by Tara Hudson

Can there truly be love after death?
Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life—or her actual death—she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive.
Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world . . . forever.
Thrilling and evocative, with moments of pure pleasure, Hereafter is a sensation you won't want to miss.

13 comments:

Allison said...

Lots of awesome stuff, congrats on winning a Kindle! I got mine for Christmas and don't know what I'd do without it now.

I bet you'll love The Near Witch - I certainly did! I also have a copy of From Bad to Cursed for review, have you seen the book trailer for it? I ran across it today and it was very awesome, but also very creepy.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your books as well, happy reading!

Alison Can Read said...

Congrats on the Kindle!!! I can't wait to read Uncommon Criminals. I loved Out of my Mind.
My IMM

Shoshanah said...

You wound up with some great books! I've heard good things about both Before I Fall & Hereafter, but I think Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress looks like the most fun

Grace Fonseca said...

Congrats on the kindle. I love my e-reader. Got to now pick up Uncommon Criminals as I just finished Heist Society and loved it.

Amy @ Turn the Page said...

Some great books there. Before I Fall and The Lost Hero are brilliant!! :)

Christina T said...

Congratulations on winning the Kindle! I just got mine a few weeks ago and love it. You have some great books this week too. I have been waiting to read Uncommon Criminals and Before I Fall is a favorite.

Unknown said...

A great mailbox! They all look great! I can't wait to read The Near Witch :)
Check out what's In My Mailbox

Mia @ Gripped into Books

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

I like your mailbox this week. Out of my Mind had me cracking up at the cover.

CONGRATS on winning a kindle! I am in desperate need of an eReader myself, I am currently reading books off of the computer which makes for one uncomfortable read.

Jenny N. said...

You're so lucky to win a kindle. I have two other Tina Ferraro books that I haven't read yet but they all sound like light, fun reads. Happy reading!

Nina said...

How cool! You got an kindle, yay! I still haven't read Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver and it's been on my tbrpile for a long while now. I'll be looking out for your review of the book! Happy reading.

Alexia561 said...

Congrats on the new job and on winning a Kindle! Looks like you're having a great week!

Am hearing some good things about The Near Witch, and From Bad to Cursed sound like a fun read! Hope you love Before I Fall as much as I did, as it's one of my all-time faves. Enjoy!

Brittany said...

Congrats on the new job and Hooray for the sweet Kindle win. Great books this week. I need to start some of those series. Happy Reading!

Tales of Whimsy said...

OMG Congratulations! I love my Kindle.

Bookmark this link: http://ebooks.addall.com/amazonfree.html

It's where I keep updated on free kindle books.

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.