Monday, June 13, 2011

Book Review: Abandon By Meg Cabot

Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.
But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.
Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.
But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld. (From Goodreads)


I always start a review of a Meg Cabot book by expressing my love for her writing. The stories are funny, and my go-to for entertaining reads. While Abandon was more of a serious book, I really enjoyed it. 

This summer seems packed with mythology, and I love it! I wasn't sure how Cabot was going to rework the myth of Persephone, but I guessed that the two main characters would be modern-day versions of the originals. I was right in some respects, Pierce does mirror Persephone, except her trip to the underworld occurs because she's dead. John is also a bit like Hades, although I should clarify that he isn't actually Hades. I won't share any more similarities/differences between the two for fear of spoiling things. I'll just leave you with the information that together they're dealing with some mythological baddies. 

The Underworld was only briefly visited during the story, so I'm interested to read more about it in the sequel. Because I was expecting most of the book to take place there, I was a bit disappointed that it was really only a flashback scene. On the other hand, I really liked what I saw. I can't wait for Cabot's next release!

Abandon 
By Meg Cabot
Published by Point
320 Pages
Purchased
Rating: B

2 comments:

Jenny N. said...

I liked Abandon and I'm hoping to read a couple more books based on mythology this year.

Rissi said...

I started reading one of Cabot's books once years ago and never finished it. Perhaps I should give her a try again.

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.