Sunday, December 15, 2013

Stacking the Shelves (December 15)

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga at Tynga's Reviews! It's a way to highlight the books that everyone got throughout the week.

Won from MacTeen Books (a huge thanks!)

Cress by Marissa Meyer


Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.


Published by Feiwel & Friends
Release Date: February 4, 2014

Purchased 

Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn





The spine-tingling horror of Stephen King meets an eerie mystery worthy of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series in Kate Karyus Quinn's haunting debut.

On a cool autumn night, Annaliese Rose Gordon stumbled out of the woods and into a high school party. She was screaming. Drenched in blood. Then she vanished.

A year later, Annaliese is found wandering down a road hundreds of miles away. She doesn't know who she is. She doesn't know how she got there. She only knows one thing: She is not the real Annaliese Rose Gordon.

Now Annaliese is haunted by strange visions and broken memories. Memories of a reckless, desperate wish . . . a bloody razor . . . and the faces of other girls who disappeared. Piece by piece, Annaliese's fractured memories come together to reveal a violent, endless cycle that she will never escape—unless she can unlock the twisted secrets of her past.


Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale



 When Charlotte Kinder treats herself to a two-week vacation at Austenland, she happily leaves behind her ex-husband and his delightful new wife, her ever-grateful children, and all the rest of her real life in America. She dons a bonnet and stays at a country manor house that provides an immersive Austen experience, complete with gentleman actors who cater to the guests' Austen fantasies.

Everyone at Pembrook Park is playing a role, but increasingly, Charlotte isn't sure where roles end and reality begins. And as the parlor games turn a little bit menacing, she finds she needs more than a good corset to keep herself safe. Is the brooding Mr. Mallery as sinister as he seems? What is Miss Gardenside's mysterious ailment? Was that an actual dead body in the secret attic room? And-perhaps of the most lasting importance-could the stirrings in Charlotte's heart be a sign of real-life love?

The follow-up to reader favorite Austenland provides the same perfectly plotted pleasures, with a feisty new heroine, plenty of fresh and frightening twists, and the possibility of a romance that might just go beyond the proper bounds of Austen's world. How could it not turn out right in the end?


The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

 Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But it’s not a skill that she’s ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they’ve begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie.

What Cassie doesn’t realize is that there’s more at risk than a few unsolved homicides— especially when she’s sent to live with a group of teens whose gifts are as unusual as her own.

Sarcastic, privileged Michael has a knack for reading emotions, which he uses to get inside Cassie’s head—and under her skin. Brooding Dean shares Cassie’s gift for profiling, but keeps her at arm’s length.

Soon, it becomes clear that no one in the Naturals program is what they seem. And when a new killer strikes, danger looms closer than Cassie could ever have imagined. Caught in a lethal game of cat and mouse with a killer, the Naturals are going to have to use all of their gifts just to survive.

10 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

Yay for Midnight in Austenland. I loved the audio.

CG @ Paper Fury said...

Oh my GOSH. You have Cress?!!!! SO LUCKY!!! I'm freakishly excited for that book. I'm about to bust I'm so excited for it!! XD Happy reading! Also, my sister loved The Naturals...I still have to grab a spare second to read it. :)
My StS!

Alexia Boesen said...

I am SO jealous that you have Cress! I have Another Little Piece and I've been meaning to read it. Hopefully I can actually do it sometime soon.

Happy reading!

(BTW new follower)

Unknown said...

OMG. You've got Cress? Argh! Can I go to your house and steal it? Or you can save me the trouble and lend it to me after you're done with it. Pretty please. I just want to read it now and e-ARCS aren't available on NG and EW. Huhuhuhu.

You're killing me slowly with envy, Lizzy. Gaah, Feb is still faraway. And I think I'm gonna be dead by that time due to the long wait. Hahaha.

Happy reading, Lizzy!

Charlotte @ Thoughts and Pens

Harvee said...

So intrigued by Cress, as I loved Cinder! How lucky you are to have it! Enjoy!

Harvee
Book Dilettante

Rachel Marie said...

Ooh Midnight in Austenland sounds good, and I've been wanting to read The Naturals. Happy reading!
Thanks for visiting my StS!

danya said...

I still need to read Scarlet, but I really like the cover for Cress! Hope you enjoy :)

Lina Jiménez said...

Congrats on winning Cress!
Thanks for stopping by.

Lisa Mandina said...

I really need to hurry up and read Cinder!! I enjoyed Austenland, need to read on! Great haul. Thanks for stopping by my STS as well.

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous you have Cress!!! You're so freaking lucky. I saw that giveaway or whatever you want to call it, but I didn't enter because I tend not to win those. But I've seen SO MANY PEOPLE with copies won. Oi. As usual. I still want to read Another Little Piece. I'll have to give it a shot soon.

Sydney @ Utterly Bookish

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.