Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Book Review: Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender

Colette Iselin is excited to go to Paris on a class trip. She’ll get to soak up the beauty and culture, and maybe even learn something about her family’s French roots.

But a series of gruesome murders are taking place across the city, putting everyone on edge. And as she tours museums and palaces, Colette keeps seeing a strange vision: a pale woman in a ball gown and powdered wig, who looks suspiciously like Marie Antoinette.

Colette knows her popular, status-obsessed friends won’t believe her, so she seeks out the help of a charming French boy. Together, they uncover a shocking secret involving a dark, hidden history. When Colette realizes she herself may hold the key to the mystery, her own life is suddenly in danger . . .

Acclaimed author Katie Alender brings heart-stopping suspense to this story of revenge, betrayal, intrigue — and one killer queen.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16139598-marie-antoinette-serial-killer

Best Bits: I have absolutely loved the books by Katie Alender that I've read in the past. Talk about creepy...and somehow I always find myself reading them right before I attempt to sleep (this eventually turns into sleeping with a Disney movie playing). This book is a bit different than her past series, but she still has the ability to write great suspense. I think that these books are a little less intense, but no less fun to read. Things aren't easy for Colette, aside from your typical teen issues she's got some intense family drama...she just didn't realize this drama was connected to Marie Antoinette. Still, I liked the supporting characters a bit more than the main character. I think that's because Colette really didn't seem to grasp what was given to her (i.e. a trip to Paris with her class). We get some pay off for that in the end, but I couldn't help but wondering how long it would last (shame on me, I'm so negative and it's Christmas).

Nit Picks: I think my main issue with this one is probably because I'm old and cranky now. Over the course of the book we see how selfish Colette's friends are. With all this talk lately of "affluenza", all I could think about was how these girls had no idea about what life is like. So, I found it kind of frustrating that Colette worked so hard to maintain these relationships. Sure, there were bright points, but I was still just like "argh, can't you see there are others who would actually support you?!".

Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer
By Katie Alender
Published by Scholastic 
296 Pages

0 comments:

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.