Saturday, December 1, 2012

Stacking the Shelves (December 1)

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga at Tynga's Reviews! It's a way to highlight the books that everyone got throughout the week.

For Review: 

Dance of Shadows by Yelena Black 

Dancing with someone is an act of trust. Elegant and intimate; you're close enough to kiss, close enough to feel your partner's heartbeat. But for Vanessa, dance is deadly – and she must be very careful who she trusts . . .

Vanessa Adler attends an elite ballet school – the same one her older sister, Margaret, attended before she disappeared. Vanessa feels she can never live up to her sister's shining reputation. But Vanessa, with her glorious red hair and fair skin, has a kind of power when she dances – she loses herself in the music, breathes different air, and the world around her turns to flames . . . 

Soon she attracts the attention of three men: gorgeous Zep, mysterious Justin, and the great, enigmatic choreographer Josef Zhalkovsky. When Josef asks Vanessa to dance the lead in the Firebird, she has little idea of the danger that lies ahead – and the burning forces about to be unleashed. 


Published by Bloomsbury USA
Release Date: February 12, 2013

Won from the fabulous gals at WinterHaven Books:  

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. 


Published by Feiwel & Friends 



Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?


Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt


Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway

Jodi Marshall isn’t sure how she went from normal teenager to walking disaster. One minute she’s in her junior year of high school, spending time with her amazing boyfriend and her best friend. The next she’s being stalked by some guy no one seems to know.

After the stranger, Alex, reveals himself, Jodi learns he’s not a normal teenager and neither is she. With a kiss that kills and a touch that brings the dead back to life, Jodi discovers she’s part of a branch of necromancers born under the 13th sign of the zodiac, Ophiuchus. A branch of necromancers that are descendents of Medusa. A branch of necromancers with poisoned blood writhing in their veins.

Jodi’s deadly to the living and even more deadly to the deceased. She has to leave her old, normal life behind before she hurts the people she loves. As if that isn’t difficult enough, Jodi discovers she’s the chosen one who has to save the rest of her kind from perishing at the hands of Hades. If she can’t figure out how to control her power, history will repeat itself, and her race will become extinct.


Published by Spencer Hill Press

Purchased:

Reached by Ally Condie

After leaving Society and desperately searching for the Rising—and each other—Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again: Cassia has been assigned to work for the Rising from within Society, while Ky has been stationed outside its borders. But nothing is as predicted, and all too soon the veil lifts and things shift once again.

In this gripping conclusion to the #1 New York Times-bestsellingMatched trilogy, Cassia will reconcile the difficulties of challenging a life too confining, seeking a freedom she never dreamed possible, and honoring a love she cannot live without.


Published by Dutton

The Lies That Bind by Lisa & Laura Roecker

Just when Kate Lowry thought she had life at elite private school Pemberly Brown figured out, she cracks open a fortune cookie to find a message from her best friend Grace--who's supposed to be dead.

Another Sister Gone

A classmate has gone missing, and Kate soon realizes that the disappearance is tied to the secret societies that rule her private school. Her best friend died for their secrets, and there's no way she'll let them get away with it twice. It's up to quirky outsider Kate to get some answers, but in a school where every answer leads to more questions and nothing's as it seems, who can she trust?


Published by Sourcebooks Fire

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang


I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.


Published by HarperCollins

Christmas Wishes by Debbie Macomber

Christmas Letters
Katherine O'Connor (known as K.O.) adores her five-year-old twin nieces; and strongly objects to her sister's plans to dispense with Christmas. Zelda is following the theories of child psychologist Wynn Jeffries, author of The Free Child (and, as it happens, K.O.'s neighbor). K.O. is particularly horrified by his edict to "bury Santa under the sleigh," and she's out to prove that Wynn and his ideas are full of snow. He's not going to ruin her nieces' Christmas! Too bad the guy's so darned attractive! 

Rainy Day Kisses
Seventeen years ago Susannah Simmons was a career girl who knew nothing about babies. But after babysitting her infant niece, Michelle, Susannah learned that one determined and screaming baby can make the corporate world look like child's play. Thank goodness for her charming neighbor Nate Townsend. Now he's her charming husband, and Susannah's a mother as well as an aunt. And every Christmas Eve, Michelle tells her cousins how their mom met their dad a story in which she plays a starring role!



17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the cover of Dance of Shadows! I hope you enjoy Cinder- it's one of my favorites!

Happy reading:)

jenn | Stacking the Shelves

Grace Fonseca said...

Dance of Shadows looks awesome. I can't wait to start. Great haul of books. Come visit me as well.

Grace

Sabina said...

I loved Cinder, and enjoyed What's Left of Me too. Great haul! Happy reading!

My STS post

Sabina @ Delirious About Books

Anonymous said...

What's Left of Me is awesome, I hope you like it.

The Twins Read said...

Ooh, I've yet to get my copy of What's Left of Me from the bookstore! And lucky you on Touch of Death. We're quite excited about it. :) Enjoy reading!

Stacking the Shelves #6

Ashley said...

I love your new books!! Cinder was one of my favourite books all year! Freaking amazing! I hope you love it too. :) And I'm so jealous that you got Touch of Death. I think it sounds amazing!

My Stacking the Shelves

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed What's Left of Me! I've been wanting to read Cinder forever! And Dance of Shadows has such a neat cover. Happy reading! New follower.
My Stack

Tales of Whimsy said...

O nice! I've got Cinder waiting for me too and I LOVE Grave Mercy.

Kyra said...

Dance of Shadows, What's Left of Me, The Liar of Society and Reached look amazing! I have Cinder on my bookshelf I really need to read! Great haul!

Check out my EPIC haul here! http://blogofabookaholic.blogspot.com/2012/12/stacking-shelves-27-epic-edition.html

Michelles Paranormal Vault Of Books said...

great ones, many I want to read. Hope you enjoy them
Stacking the Shelves & In My Mailbox

Alexia561 said...

Nice haul! Hope you enjoy Cinder and What's Left of Me as much as I did! Happy reading!

Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

Great haul! Cinder is awesome :) What's left of me and Grave Mercy are high on my wish list.

Happy reading!

Mel@thedailyprophecy.

Ange said...

Grave Mercy is literally my absolute favorite read from 2012! WOOT! WOOT! Great haul! What's Left of Me is on my TBR list. I was rather disappointe by Cinder. It was very mediocre for me. I hope you like it better than I did. I'm hoping book 2 will be better for me. Happy reading this week.

Our Week in Books @Libby Blog

Anonymous said...

I haven't read any of these, but most of them are on my TBR list. Hope you get to enjoy them soon.

please check out my Stacking the Shelves at Read. Sleep. Repeat.

(new follower)

Unknown said...

I loved Cinder and What's Left of Me - both amazing!

My STS

caffeinejunkie said...

You have a good stack. I haven't read these yet. My STS.

Dazzling Mage said...

Ooh, AWESOME haul this week! I have Grave Mercy on my shelf, waiting to be read. And I really need to get my hands on Cinder!

Anyway, happy reading!

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.