Friday, September 10, 2010

Book Review: Kiss Me Deadly, Edited by Trisha Telep

If you can possibly thirst for more mysterious metaphysical accounts of love, Trisha Telep has organized some of the greatest and most thrilling tales of paranormal paramours since The Eternal Kiss. She presents the acclaimed literary talent of thirteen unique authors, creating a collection of stories that will undoubtedly capture the imagination of every soul who dares to read them. Werewolves, ghosts, zombies, vampires, and fallen angels drive the plot of these riveting romances. (From Goodreads)

Kiss Me Deadly contains 13 short stories involving paranormal romance. There are quite a few recgonizable names among the contributing authors. Michelle Zink, Sarah Reese Brennan, Carrie Ryan, and Daniel Waters were just a few that drew me to the book. Of course, I also love a good paranormal romance.

Each story offers something different to lovers of the paranormal.
There were angels, werewolves, Mara (parasitic empaths), zombies, unicorns, witches, djinns, and so much more. As with all anthologies, some stories were stronger than others. Still, majority of the stories kept me from setting the book down. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by the nice mix of the perfect short stories, and stories that I wanted to be turned into full-length novels. For example, Caitlin Kitteredge's story, Behind the Red Door, was perfect as a short story. It was engaging, spooky, and it wrapped up nicely. Diana Peterfreund, and Maggie Stiefvater also had great shorts. They each fit into their respected universes nicely, and built upon them. Plus, in the case of Peterfreund, I love a good unicorn story.

I also mentioned that there were a few stories I believe could be made into novels. I wanted to know more about the characters, histories, and basically 300 more pages. The stories by Karen Mahoney (vampires, djinns), Sarah Rees Brennan (Peter Pan as a spy), and Michelle Rowan (witches) were three of those stories. Finally, there was the story by Daniel Marks. He wrote about purgatory, and after checking his website found out that he has written a trilogy (yay). Once they find a publisher, I'll be buying my copies.

Overall, this was a great anthology of strong paranormal romance stories. If you're a fan of any paranormal creatures, I'd give this one a try.

Kiss Me Deadly
Edited by Trisha Telep
Published by Running Press Teens
432 Pages
Rating: B

Thanks to Nicole at Running Press for giving me the chance to review this one!

4 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

This sounds fantastic. I want this now. I'm off to add this to my TBR list.

Tiina said...

Sounds great!Thanks for visiting my blog! You could have joined to the R.I.P challenge with this book, you know. :)

Greetings,
Tiina

Jenny N. said...

I've been meaning to get this one. Also so many great authors in this anthology is another incentive for me to get it.

Cinette said...

How do you keep up on all these great books? My To Read list just keeps growing!
Cinette
http://cinettesmusings.blogspot.com

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.