Friday, March 14, 2014

Books to TV: The Song of the Lionness

So, I don't want to give false hope to those of us who are dreaming of this series becoming a tv show, but I did want to do a what if post.

Series Synopsis: Alanna and her twin brother Thom are about to be sent off to two very different places. Alanna to a convent, and Thom to become a knight. Unfortunately, they both crave something other than the futures that have been predetermined for them. So, being twins, they switch places. Over the course of four books Alanna experiences the fears of being discovered (she's pretending to be her brother), dealing with love, and who she can trust.

This was the first "YA" series that I read as a pre-teen, and Pierce has a special place in my heart.

Of course, the books begin when she is very young, so the characters would have to be aged up. I sort of also wish that it could be a Netflix/HBO/Showtime series. Shorter seasons, and not as much focus on love triangle stuff (I fear this would happen on the CW). So, the characters...

My Cast:

Dakota Blue Richards as Alanna -

Alanna and Thom have red hair and purple eyes, and she's acted in a variety of different roles that lead me to believe she'd be able to capture the character's ability to show strength and determination, while also feeling vulnerable.

See her in: The Secret of Moonacre (on Netflix) and Skins.



Freddie Fox as Thom

He's a bit older than my Alanna pick, but it is super difficult to find actors who are gingerish and in their early 20's. Still, I think he'd be a fine pick.

See him in The Three Musketeers, and the upcoming Frankenstein movie.






Rafi Gavron as George the King of Thieves

First of all, George was one of my favorite characters (much to the annoyance of some of my friends). In the books there's a big age difference between Alanna and George, but I think the show could overlook that. Plus, I liked Life Unexpected...sadly I was one of only three people who liked it and it got cancelled. So, I have faith that he can play the lovable rogue.

See him in: Life Unexpected, Inkheart.



Nicolas Hoult as Prince Jon

For some reason this was the hardest pick for me, so I'm not really 100% on my choice, but I think he would be fine as Jon. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that he's one of the first people to learn of Alanna's secret, and one of her closest friends.

See him in: About a Boy, X-Men, Warm Bodies





For some reason I picked all British actors...it's probably because every fantasy/adventure series must have accents. I was also expecting this to be an easy task and it took forever. Phew. So, what books would you like to see turned into a TV series?

2 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

I don't know the book or these actors but I do love the look of Dakota.

Ashfa said...

Haven't heard of this book... but love the look of Dakota too.
I'd love to see the Grisha Trilogy made into a movie!

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.