Saturday, February 15, 2014

Stacking the Shelves (February 15)

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga at Tynga's Reviews! It's a way to highlight the books that everyone got throughout the week.

Purchased:

Secret Letters by Lea Cheier

Inquisitive and observant, Dora dreams of escaping her aristocratic country life to solve mysteries alongside Sherlock Holmes. So when she learns that the legendary detective might be her biological father, Dora jumps on the opportunity to travel to London and enlist his help in solving the mystery of her cousin's ransomed love letters. But Dora arrives in London to devastating news: Sherlock Holmes is dead. Her dreams dashed, Dora is left to rely on her wits-and the assistance of an attractive yet enigmatic young detective-to save her cousin's reputation and help rescue a kidnapped heiress along the way.

Steeped in Victorian atmosphere and intrigue, this gripping novel heralds the arrival of a fresh new voice in young adult literature.






 The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong.








Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

 It isn't easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.

The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past - and hers?



For Review:

The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant





So many secrets for such a small island. From the moment Anne Merchant arrives at Cania Christy, a boarding school for the world’s wealthiest teens, the hushed truths of this strange, unfamiliar land begin calling to her—sometimes as lulling drumbeats in the night, sometimes as piercing shrieks.

One by one, unanswered questions rise. No one will tell her why a line is painted across the island or why she is forbidden to cross it. Her every move—even her performance at the school dance—is graded as part of a competition to become valedictorian, a title that brings rewards no one will talk about. And Anne discovers that the parents of her peers surrender million-dollar possessions to enroll their kids in Cania Christy, leaving her to wonder what her lowly funeral director father could have paid to get her in… and why.

As a beautiful senior struggles to help Anne make sense of this cloak-and-dagger world without breaking the rules that bind him, she must summon the courage to face the impossible truth—and change it—before she and everyone she loves is destroyed by it.





Gifted:

From the fabulous Jenn (and Mr. Doxies) at Tale of Two Doxies  to celebrate my new job!

Holly's Inbox by Holly Denham


Ever wanted a peek at someone else's emails?

Meet Holly Denham. It's her first day as a receptionist at a City investment bank and, with no cooperate front-of-house experience, Holly is struggling to keep up. Add to this her mad friends, dysfunctional family and gossipy colleagues, and Holly's inbox is a daily source of drama, laughter, scandal and even romance. But Holly's keeping a secret from everyone - and the past is about to catch up with her...

 

 






When in Doubt Add Butter by Beth Harbison




As far as Gemma is concerned, her days of dating are over. In fact, it’s her job to cater other peoples’ dates, and that’s just fine by her. At thirty-seven, she has her own business, working as a private chef, and her life feels full and secure. She’s got six steady clients that keep her hands full.

There’s Lex, the fussy but fabulous department store owner who loves Oysters Rockefeller and 1950s comfort food; Willa, who needs to lose weight under doctor’s orders but still believes butter makes everything better; a colorful family who may or may not be part of the Russian mob; an überwealthy Georgetown family; the picture-perfect Van Houghtens, whose matriarch is “allergic to everything”; and finally, a man she calls “Mr. Tuesday,” whom she has never met but who she is strangely drawn to.

For Gemma, cooking is predictable. Recipes are certain. Use good ingredients, follow the directions, and you are assured success. Life, on the other hand, is full of variables. So when Gemma’s takes an unexpected turn on a road she always thought was straight and narrow, she must face her past and move on in ways she never would have imagined. Because sometimes in life, all you need is a little hope, a lot of courage, and---oh yes---butter.


 
So these two books showed up on my doorstep this week, after I had casually mentioned wanting to read them over the weekend. I am a sucker for any books with cupcakes on the cover...yum! So, thanks to my fabulous bestie!

16 comments:

Melliane said...

Oh yes I'm so curious about some of them, I heard great reviews about them so I hope you'll like them all. Happy reading!

here is mine

Tales of Whimsy said...

Sherlock's daughter? Awesome!!!

I've been meaning to read Holly's Inbox. Enjoy!!!

Grace Fonseca said...

Nice haul of books. I hope you love all your new books. They look amazing. The Althea Kontis book is a nice read.

Grace
Books of Love
http://gracebooksoflove.com

Smart Person said...

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was so good! And I also really enjoyed Enchanted, so I hope you do too! Enjoy your haul.

My STS!
Amber @ My Bookshelf Is Hungry

Jennie said...

Awww :) the doxies will be so excited to know the books they helped gift featured. Looks like you have some great ones this week, I'm curios to see what you think of Sherlock's daughter and Enchanted. (And obviously hope you love your two gift books!)

Jenn @ Tale of Two Doxies

My STS

Unknown said...

I love Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Nothing like something you read before.

Spiced Latte said...

Those look awesome! Hope you enjoy them all & Happy late Valentine's Day!

My STS this week :)

Leydy said...

Great haul! I hope you enjoy your books! The secret letter looks interesting!

Check out our STS.

Leydy @ OUaT & Redcarpetendings

CG @ Paper Fury said...

I really want to read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer! It looks awesome and creepy all at once (which, is awesome in my opinion) XD happy reading! Thanks for stopping by my STS!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my STS! I heard the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is great. I always love the covers in the series!

Charnell @ Reviews from a Bookworm said...

Great haul. Secret Letters sounds really great, love the whole idea of Sherlock Holmes having a daughter! I hope you enjoy all of your books :) My STS.

Anonymous said...

Some of these look awesome! I love fairytale retellings, especially.

Unknown said...

Oh, I loved Mara Dyer! I hope you enjoy all of your new books :)

Anonymous said...

I've got Enchanted on my want list! Happy Reading! If you'd like, you can stop by my STS

Unknown said...

I've had Mara Dyer and Enchanted forever and I still haven't read them :( I hope you love them.

Thanks for stopping by!

Kazhy @ My Library in the Making said...

Lovely haul! I'm dying to read the Mara Dyer series but I'm waiting till the third book is out so I won't have to wait.

Thanks for dropping by my StS! :D

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.