Saturday, November 2, 2013

Stacking the Shelves (November 2)

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga at Tynga's Reviews! It's a way to highlight the books that everyone got throughout the week.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

 Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown’s gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.


 Published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12813630-the-coldest-girl-in-coldtown?from_search=true



The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani


This year, best friends Sophie and Agatha are about to discover where all the lost children go: the fabled School for Good & Evil, where ordinary boys and girls are trained to be fairy tale heroes and villains. As the most beautiful girl in Gavaldon, Sophie has dreamed of being kidnapped into an enchanted world her whole life. With her pink dresses, glass slippers, and devotion to good deeds, she knows she’ll earn top marks at the School for Good and graduate a storybook princess. Meanwhile Agatha, with her shapeless black frocks, wicked pet cat, and dislike of nearly everyone, seems a natural fit for the School for Evil.

But when the two girls are swept into the Endless Woods, they find their fortunes reversed—Sophie’s dumped in the School for Evil to take Uglification, Death Curses, and Henchmen Training, while Agatha finds herself in the School For Good, thrust amongst handsome princes and fair maidens for classes in Princess Etiquette and Animal Communication.. But what if the mistake is actually the first clue to discovering who Sophie and Agatha really are…?


Published by HarperCollins


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12813630-the-coldest-girl-in-coldtown?from_search=true

 

Doon by Carey Corp & Larie Langdon

Veronica doesn't think she's going crazy. But why can't anyone else see the mysterious blond boy who keeps popping up wherever she goes? When her best friend, Mackenna, invites her to spend the summer in Scotland, Veronica jumps at the opportunity to leave her complicated life behind for a few months.

But the Scottish countryside holds other plans.

Not only has the imaginary kilted boy followed her to Alloway, she and Mackenna uncover a strange set of rings and a very unnerving letter from Mackenna's great aunt—and when the girls test the instructions Aunt Gracie left behind, they find themselves transported to a land that defies explanation. Doon seems like a real-life fairy tale, complete with one prince who has eyes for Mackenna and another who looks suspiciously like the boy from Veronica's daydreams. But Doon has a dark underbelly as well. The two girls could have everything they've longed for...or they could end up breaking an enchantment and find themselves trapped in a world that has become a nightmare.


Published by Zondervan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12813630-the-coldest-girl-in-coldtown?from_search=true
 

Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay




In the domed city of Yuan, the blind Princess Isra, a Smooth Skin, is raised to be a human sacrifice whose death will ensure her city’s vitality. In the desert outside Yuan, Gem, a mutant beast, fights to save his people, the Monstrous, from starvation. Neither dreams that together, they could return balance to both their worlds.

Isra wants to help the city’s Banished people, second-class citizens despised for possessing Monstrous traits. But after she enlists the aid of her prisoner, Gem, who has been captured while trying to steal Yuan’s enchanted roses, she begins to care for him, and to question everything she has been brought up to believe.

As secrets are revealed and Isra’s sight, which vanished during her childhood, returned, Isra will have to choose between duty to her people and the beast she has come to love.


Published by Delacorte Press

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12813630-the-coldest-girl-in-coldtown?from_search=true
 

The Program by Suzanne Young


Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them.


Published by Simon Pulse

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12813630-the-coldest-girl-in-coldtown?from_search=true
 

23 comments:

Becca @ Nawanda Files said...

So many good books! Doon and Coldest Girl of Coldtown sound really great (I haven't read either one yet) -- their covers are gorgeous too. I hope you enjoy all of these, Lizzy :D

Anonymous said...

Oh, AWESOME Haul! You got A LOT of GREAT books! Now, only if you can decide what to read first...lol! Thanks for stopping by my STS @ Addicted Readers! :-)

Jeann @ Happy Indulgence said...

All great reads, I really want to read Coldest Girl in Coldtown too! Enjoy all of your books :)

Chel said...

I've heard so many good things about Of Beast and Beauty but I struggled with it. Also with the Coldest Girl. So many mixed reviews of it but I'm still looking forward to reading it. Happy reading!

Chel @ The Procrastinator's Corner

Richa said...

I'm really looking forward to all of these, especially The Program! Happy reading and thanks for stopping by :)

Aarati said...

Great haul. I especially love the cover of "The School for Good and Evil" and I really liked the cover of "Doon" too. I got to add some great reads to my shelf. Thanks for visiting me @ The la La Land of Books. :) Happy Reading

Jennifer @ Bad Bird Reads said...

I got the Coldest Girl in ColdTown last week. Everyone seems to love it. Happy reading.

Anonymous said...

Amazing books :-) I loved The Program and The Coldest Girl In Coldtown. I hope you enjoy them. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Melliane said...

I heard so many great things about the Holly Black book, I hope you'll like it. Happy reading!

Dre Wolf said...

I have Holly Black's book. I haven't read it yet, though. Nice haul!

Siiri said...

Oh hey! I have only seen either negative or positive reviews for The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. Most people think it's a series, but from what I've heard, it's a stand-alone with no plans whatsoever to make it into a series. Of Beauty and Beast and The Program--I haven't come across a negative or mediocre review yet among my friends and even new bloggers I have met throughout the months that these two have been out. They're supposedly awesomesauce and I can't wait to read my kindle copies of them :)

Thanks so much for stopping by on my blog :) I hope you have a wonderful Sunday!

Linda @ (un)Conventional Bookworms said...

Very nice haul! I've heard many things about The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, and I'm curious about your take on it.

The Program seems a little scary in a way...

I hope you'll love all your books! Thanks for stopping by my STS post earlier.

Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

proseandkahn said...

Wow, you've got some interesting reading on tap. Enjoy your books and thanks for visiting my StS.

brenda

Jacque said...

One of my friends just finished the Coldest Girl and Coldtown and really liked it. It is on my TBR list and I hope to get to it soon.

I hope you enjoy all of your new books!!! Thanks for stopping by my STS :)

Natalie @Natflix&Books said...

I have as lot of these on my Kindle, but haven't read any of them yet. I've heard great things about The Program and The Coldest Girl. Great haul and happy reading!

Charnell @ Reviews from a Bookworm said...

So many great books, I'm dying to read Of Beast & Beauty - it looks amazing. Doon and Coldest Girl of Coldtown also sound really interesting. Enjoy your reads. My STS

Erica (The Reading Kitten) said...

Nice haul! Hope you enjoy your books. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier! :)

Alyssa said...

Doon has such a gorgeous cover! And I really want to (NEED TO) read Of Beast and Beauty. I own The Program, but haven't read it yet :\ Hopefully, you read it faster than I d, and enjoy it! :D

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

brandileigh2003 said...

I enjoyed The Program and hope you do too

Unknown said...

Definitely a good haul this week! Of Beast and Beauty looks so good!

Tales of Whimsy said...

I love the Doon cover.

Unknown said...

A great haul! I've heard of a few of these but haven't had a chance to read them yet. Hope you enjoy them all!
Thanks for stopping by :)

Kelly said...

I've been meaning to read The Coldest Girl of Coldtown and The School for Good and Evil for the longest time. I hope you'll enjoy them both! (:
Happy reading & thanks for stopping by my STS! :D

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.