Friday, January 4, 2013

Review: The Diviners by Libba Bray

Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."
When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first. (From Goodreads)

Best Bits: Well, I love the 20's! I've read non-fiction books about flappers, and adore the lingo. In fact, I'd say that The Diviners was what I was most hoping would show up under the Christmas tree. Lucky me, it did. The story was scary. I'm housesitting, and I actually had to set it down a couple of times because I was getting too spooked. The characters are great, although they don't all interact (which was my impression from the synopsis). I have a feeling that in the second book this will happen. The different points-of-view were great, too. I tend to have a problem with books that have different character's POV (too many can get confusing, sometimes they keep me from getting emotionally involved with all the characters), but Bray did a great job. I actually cared for her characters. Honestly, there were some small cliffhangers at the end of a couple of chapters, and I was extremely anxious about the safety of the characters. 

Nit Picks: This book is long! Now, I don't shy away from long reads (see: A Song of Ice and Fire series), but I do think that there were some portions of this book that weren't completely necessary. 

The Diviners
Libba Bray
Published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
592 Pages
Rating: A

4 comments:

Kami said...

I've been waiting for a review on this one. I wasn't a fan of A Great and Terrible Beauty, but I am interested in this one! I love that it takes place in the 20s!

Tales of Whimsy said...

I keep thinking I should try this but truthfully the size is intimidating.

Dazzling Mage said...

I love Bray's work, and I can't wait to get my hands on this one. Although I've seen it's size and it is daunting!

Great review!

Kelsey said...

I loved Beauty Queens and have been dying to read this one!

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.