Friday, April 15, 2011

Book Review:I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You by Ally Carter

The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women lives up to its name. Not only does this exclusive boarding school teach advanced language skills and correct deportment; its students also master the arts of tapping phones, hacking into computers, and spying in public places. At school, second-generation Gallagher Girl Cammie Morgan has impeccable credentials: She is fluent in 14 languages and able to kill an assailant in seven different ways. But recently life has dealt Cammie a card that she never anticipated: She has fallen in love with an ordinary boy who knows nothing about her exotic double life. A truly covert romance. (From Goodreads)

I picked this one up from the library on a whim. I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately, and I wanted something fun to get me back into the flow of reading. Since I enjoyed Carter's newest series, I knew that I'd enjoy this one.

The story focuses on Cammie Morgan, who's attending The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women. Sounds like an elite boarding school, right? Well, it's actually a school where most of the students are trained to be spies. Cammie and her friends spend their time tailing professors, learning all things covert operations, and planning an elite undercover mission...dating a townie. Unlike some other private school novels, this one was heavy on the actions and fun, and lighter on the drama. I was happy enough to read about the madcap adventures of the Gallagher 4 (yes, I've given Cammie, Bex, Liz, and Macey a team name) without having to worry about some completely inane drama being thrown in there. That's not to say there isn't any conflict between the characters, because there is. It's just that the conflict is well written and realistic.

As for the plot, it kept me so interested that I finished the book in a few hours. I thought Carter did a good job of tying up this book, while leaving some questions to (hopefully) be answered in the sequels. Overall, a fun read that helped me escape my reading rut!

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls 1)
By Ally Carter
284 Pages
Published by Hyperion
Received from: Library
Rating: B

*On a semi-related note: Does anyone have any suggestions for bloggers who design rating systems? The letter grade isn't working for me anymore, since everyone has different opinions about what a specific letter grade means. I consider C to be an average grade, but there are some who see a C, and think it's a failing grade. Any advice/links are greatly appreciated!

5 comments:

JB said...

This is the best series ever. The books get even better throughout the series. You just THOUGHT this one was incredible.

Also, if you haven't checked out her other book, Heist Society, I'd highly recommend that too.

Jenny N. said...

Sounds like a fun book. Isn't there another cover for this book? It's the first time I've seen this cover for this book.

Lizzy said...

Jenny - It does usually have a different cover! This was the only decently sized one that I could find (ok, I was a bit lazy haha) without it getting really pixelated when I enlarged it. Oh well, I like them both equally :)

Wall-to-wall books said...

Oh I have heard of this book but never knew anyone who has read it!
Thanks for the review!

Linda Henderson said...

I haven't read any of this series yet but it definitely sounds like a fun read. I'll be putting it on my wishlist. Thank you for the great review.

seriousreader at live dot com

Copyright ©2009-2013 Cornucopia of Reviews. All Rights Reserved.